If you’re an aspiring aerial photographer or videographer, or if you simply want to create unforgettable videos of your travels, a drone is just what you need. After testing many models, we believe that the DJI Mavic brand of drones is one of the best on the market, especially the DJI Mavic 3 and DJI Mini 2 models. This is because pilots of all levels will find DJI mavic drones exceptionally reliable and easy to fly.
What is a DJI Mavic?
DJI Mavic drones are a series of compact, teleoperated quadcopter drones for personal and commercial aerial photography and videography use, launched by Chinese technology company DJI.
The first in this series of drones was the Mavic Pro, which was launched in September 2016. This drone is capable of capturing 4K videos with a flight range of 4.3 miles and a flight time of approximately 27 minutes. The maximum speed the mavic pro drone can reach is 65 km/h in sport mode. And if you fold it up, it is the size of a bottle, so you can carry it in the easiest way, in your pocket.
Therefore, after the release of this successful drone, due to its great functionality and size, the DJI mavic brand released more models, which we are going to talk about briefly below:
- Mavic Pro Platinum: this is an improved version of the Mavic Pro, due to the addition of new propellers and electronic speed controllers, including improved battery life and noise reduction.
- Air Mavic: What characterises this drone is that it incorporates a Smart Capture function, which is used to control the drone using hand gestures. However, the flight time is 21 minutes and it has a range of 2.5 miles.
- Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 zoom: these drones have 10 sensors for obstacle avoidance and a flight time of 31 minutes. What sets them apart is that the Mavic 2 zoom has a 4x zoom function, two of which are digital and two of which are optical.
- Mavic 2 Enterprise: this drone is designed to support rescue operations, so it incorporates an improved thermal camera sensor, a speaker that can play up to 10 pre-recorded messages at 100 decibels, and a strobe light visible from three miles away.
- Mavic Mini: in terms of features it is very similar to the Mavic pro and Mavic 2, however, it stands out for its portability, size and weight.
- Mavic Air 2: this is the second model in the Mavic Air series and what changes above all is the remote control, which has a phone on the bottom so that the operator can look at the screen. It also uses an improved wifi radio control and has a better range of up to 10km.
- DJI Mini 2: is the best of the Mavic series, with a flight time of 31 minutes and a transmission range of 10 km, and weighs only 249 grams, allowing it to withstand level 5 winds. It also has 5 rapid fire modes and 3 panorama modes.
- DJI Mavic 3: is the latest release from Mavic, and was made in 2021. It has a camera with 12.8 stops of dynamic range and records videos up to 5.1K, something we haven’t seen yet. The transmission range and flight time is also longer, covering up to 12km for 41 minutes, due to the battery life.
Characteristics of a Mavic drone
As mentioned above, there are many models in this series, so each one will have its own characteristics, as the more modern the model, the more features it will include. However, almost all of them have the following:
- The aircraft: designed to be as small and easy to transport as possible.
- The stabiliser: composed of 3 axes, which makes it possible to capture sharp and stable images and videos, in a tilt range of between -90º and 30º.
- The camera: almost all models remain faithful to their 4K capabilities, but as we have already mentioned, the Mavic 3 is able to record videos up to 5.1K. On the Mavic Pro alone, the shutter speed is 8s-1/8000s, which is amazing in itself, with a maximum image size of 4000 x 3000 in total. In addition, newer models incorporate new features such as Panorama View.
- The remote control: designed through DJI’s new OcuSync transmission technology, it is also an excellent design component. It’s also small and easy to operate, just like the drone. It even makes noise and gives you a warning message if there are strong winds, if the battery has less than 10 minutes of operating time or if you are moving too far away from your specified point of origin, which it identifies as yourself.
- The Intelligent Battery Flight: is considered one of the best drone batteries of all time. The Mavic Pro and other models achieve a charge duration of approximately 27 minutes, something that has never been done before. But the latest model also lasts 41 minutes, which is truly unbelievable.
- The main charger and car charger are included with the purchase of the drone.
- The app/live stream: works as a remote control and to see what the drone is recording. It also serves as a space holder to save videos and photos directly to your phone.
Add-ons for a DJI Mavic
Here are some of the accessories that exist for this series of DJI Mavic drones. Within each model you will find the specific accessories for each one, but we are going to talk about them in general below:
- Filter sets to make your videos different and original.
- Low noise propellers
- Intelligent Batteries for intelligent flying
- Cases to protect the drone
- Charging stations
- Remote control stands
- Propeller protectors
- Control sticks
Uses and modes of a Mavic drone
The truth is that the uses and ways to use DJI Mavic drones are many. From being portable in firefighting missions, public safety, civil protection, search and rescue, power line inspections, telecommunications and construction in general to private use, filming or entertainment.